Monday, May 4, 2009

Linked Excel-Excel and Powerpoint-Excel are slow to update.?

I have linked Excel-Excel(source) and Powerpoint-Excel (source) files stored on a shared server. When I have the source and destination files both open on my dektop the destination file updates immediately when a change is made in the source file (works like a charm!).


However, when the same files are open at different workstations (User1 at one workstation and User2 at a second workstation) they do NOT update dynamically and I have to go thru gyrations to effect the update. Even saving the changes to the source file and updating the links in the destination file doesn't get my updates right away. This is not convenient because I want the users to view the updates passively (and immediately). Note that Automatic Update is set correctly.

Linked Excel-Excel and Powerpoint-Excel are slow to update.?
If you wish both users to work on the Excel file simultaneously, you have to share the Excel file and I think Microsoft uses Groove to do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment