Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What is x linked?

does x linked mean wen two related ppl such as first cuzins have sex and produce children if not then wat does it mean

What is x linked?
refers to genetic conditions that are related to the x-chromosome.





For instance, male pattern balding is linked to the x-chromosome. Because women have 2 x-chromosomes, it acts like a recessive trait and will show up only 1/4th of the time. Because men have only one x-chromosome it acts as a dominate trait and will show up half the time.





Therefore men -- balding is related to your mother. For instance, my mother has male pattern balding -- because it is recessive in women, that means both of her x-chromosomes have the balding trait (oh dread!). My father had a full head of hair through out his life (THANK GOD) therefore his x-chromosome does not contain the balding gene and I am safe. HOWEVER -- my boys have a 50-50 chance of being bald because I have one x-chromosome from my mother for balding, and I have one x-chromosome from my father without the balding factor.





For my daughter -- her father has a full head of hair -- she will be safe no matter which x-chromosome she picks up from me, because the x-chromsome from her father is "safe".
Reply:It is a a disease linked to the X chromosome.





A good example is color blindness. Since women have two X chromosomes it is recessive for them, but if a man has color blindness in his X chromosome he will automatically be color blind.


No comments:

Post a Comment